I can now call myself an Angeleno. I experienced my first earthquake today and I hope to never experience something like that again. I work on the 8th floor - @ around 11:45 my desk started to rattle and the building started to sway back and forth. At first I was a little confused on what was going on but after about 2 or 3 seconds I realized I was in the middle of an earthquake. It literally felt like I was on some sort of Disneyland ride, the whole building was just swaying. After about 20 seconds it stopped. Most people are from Los Angeles and were like "oh that was nothing" sooo casual about it. I was a bit shaken up and asking all sorts of questions such as "should we be vacating the building? is there another one coming? anyone have an extra pair of undies to replace the ones I just crapped in;)"
The best part is that as it was happening I was able to hop onto IM and say "earthquake" to Mike. His cell phone didn't work but luckily Internet was still up. He said that about 5 minutes before the earthquake Bella started pacing back and forth and Mike thought she had to go to the bathroom. Then right as it hit she ran up to Mike and they both ran to Sophie's room where Sophie was napping. (Sophie napped through the whole thing).
Needless to say that was one of the scariest things I have been through and it was only a 5.8, which is only a "moderate" earthquake. The great thing is I have been talking about needing a 72 hour kit for months and today really hit home that now is the time to do it. This week I plan on putting one together. Anyone have suggestions on where to find a good list of things for a 72 hour kit?
Shaken in LA....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I am glad you guys are OK! I think about a kit every week. The most non confusing and some of the most inxpensive ones are on Costco.com
You can ONLY order them online. Disasters just seem to be getting closer and closer to home and I have to buy some this week!
congratulations!! you're official! don't worry, we only get big ones like that every couple years...unless the "big one" they've been promising for years hits... ;) glad you guys are okay.
"Shaken in LA" ...hahah, that was punny.
Well, all I have to say is: you are big time. Because not only did you SURVIVE your earthquake, but you made it on CNN (okay, your city made it on). And, not like LA doesn't make it on the National News EVERY day, but this day was especially, poignant.
Unshaken in Provo......
Costco has these survival buckets for like $80 that have like 3 months worth of meals in them! I'm glad my lil' Linz, Sophie, Mike and Bella are okay!!!
Post a Comment