9:09 PM

Nanny Talk

Posted by Best Worst Movie |

Can you tell Mike is out of town? I get my posting done when he is gone. Sophie can't seem to stay up any later than 6:30pm so tonight I have some time to update. I thought I would post something that was on my mind last week. I went back to work a few weeks ago. I work two days in the office, which I suprisingly really like. I am a social person and getting out of the house two days a week and interacting with others is a real pick-me-up. Even if it is work. Mike works from home so he has been able to watch her while we interview nanny's. We have interviewed 5 nanny's and finally found one we liked. She started last week and is very sweet. Her name is Maria and she is so patient and loving with Sophie. She sings her spanish songs all day long. She doesn't speak English but Mike is fluent so they have great conversations. I use sign language and speak really loud - it seems to work. Mike thinks I am the mom in Spainglish.
So, anyway, I have felt pretty good about going back to work but it has been difficult for me to think of another person taking care of Sophie, other than Mike or myself. She comes on Tuesday and Thursday when I am at work to help Mike out so he can actually work - it is just hard to imagine someone else in Sophie's life caring for her other than her parents. Mike said that the first day she was at our house, she was feeding Sophie and Mike was at his computer and Sophie was drinking looking at Mike like "aren't you suppose to be doing this." He has also been struggling with it. We know we really do need someone to help because Mike is in the middle of one of the biggest projects of his life (his documentary) and taking care of a baby is full-time. So I called my sister Rachelle because she always seems to get what I am going through and makes me feel so much better. She commented how we should be looking at it like how wonderful it is that we are bringing someone else into Sophie's life that will enrich it. She also said how completely normal it is to feel torn about having someone else help take care of your baby. Anyone else have mommy guilt on anything? Would love to hear about it.

I don't think Sophie minds either way just as long as she has her "cadillac" of johnny jumper/saucer's to play with. This thing is like a jungle gym, but she loves it:

Take note of the saliva dripping from her chin and the soaked pajama. She is constantly drooling and has been for 2 months. We change her 5 times a day.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Mommy guilt? What's that??

HA! It is never ending! I still feel just awful when I think about the twins' being born. Ethan had just barely turned two and I had TWO newborn babies. Brock had acid reflux and cried 8 hours a day. Honestly, 8 hours. It was all about surviving the day, the hour, and even the minute sometimes. Anyways, I feel horrible that I don't remember much from their first few months of life (maybe I have blocked it out, lol!) and that I didn't even enjoy it. It was rough going for a while, :).

Don't feel bad about it, your sister is right. How could it possibly be bad for Sophie to have one more person to love her? There is never too much love.

Brandon and Erica said...

she is sooo stinking cute!! I love that baby.
And...so glad to see that she is decked out in all pink.
Atta girl, Sophie.

rebecca said...

I'm just so glad you found someone to come into your home, rather than having to take her somewhere else! You know I had quite the time finding someone for Kordin when he was 2 and because of all the mommy guilt, we finally were able to leave him home with a "nanny", and he was a whole new child :)

Subscribe